Changes Introduced in JEE (Mains) 2017
It’s just a couple of months before you will be appearing for that long-anticipated exam which will open up the doors of your desired institutions. JEE (Mains) is almost here. And as this exam draws nearer, students are being increasingly bothered by confusions surrounding the changes in JEE (Mains) 2017.
So that you do not get distracted from your preparations by these confusions, we bring you a list of all the changes that will be put into effect with JEE (Mains) 2017:
- Class XII marks no longer to play a role in determining the rankings in JEE – As notified by the department of Higher Education of the Ministry of Human Resources and Development (MHRD), marks obtained in class XII board exams will no longer be taken into account in determining a candidate’s ranking in JEE for admission to various colleges. However, class XII marks will be a crucial factor in deciding the eligibility for the exam. The aspiring candidates should have secured at least 75% in XII board exams, or be in the top 20 percentile of class XII board conducted by the respective boards. For the candidates belonging to reserved category, a relaxation of 10% will be exercised.
Till the last year, 40% weightage was accorded to marks secured in class XII board exams.
- 6 states and 14 institutes merge their engineering entrances with JEE – A total of six states have done away with their respective engineering entrances to merge with JEE (Main). These states are Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Haryana, Uttrakhand, Nagaland, Odisha. However their admission criteria will be notified by the concerned authorities.
Further, the maximum number of attempts and age limit for admission to institutes in the states of Odisha and Madhya Pradesh will remain the same as those considered earlier during state entrances. The rule, however, does not apply to IITs, NITs, IIITs and CFTIs located in these states.
In addition, the following institutes will be offering admission based on the scores obtained in JEE (Mains):
- Thapar University
- Punjab Technical University, Jalandhar
- Punjab Engineering College, Chandigarh
- Indraprastha Institute of Information Technology, Delhi
- Indian Institute of Science (IISc) Bangalore
- Delhi Technological University, New Delhi.
- Indian Institute of Space Technology, Thiruvananthapuram
- Dhirubhai Ambani Institute
- Indira Gandhi Delhi Technical University for Women, New Delhi.
- Netaji Subhash Institute of Technology (under Delhi University).
- Mahindra Ecole
- Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi.
- BIT Mesra
Now, that you all your doubts and confusions are solved, take a breath of satisfaction, sit back and relax for a while and concentrate all your energies on preparing to meet your dreams. Wish you good luck!