KNOW HOW – SCHOOL START UP
The type of education being delivered to the generation mirrors on the growth of the society. Starting a private school is a challenging process and generally takes no less than 2 years. Private schools often have high academic standards, low teacher-student ratios, an emphasis on discipline, safety, community service, and values. The following steps will provide a bit of guidance in starting a school.
- Determine the board you wish to associate with. Are you thinking of multiple affiliations in the future?
- What are grades you would wish to have as you embark on the inception of a school and what you wish to include eventually
- Write the vision and mission statements. Focus clearly on the purpose and draw statements that will help achieve your goal.
- The vision statement will be the driving philosophy and all educational plans should be cantered around this.
- The mission statement should thus contain a rationale for starting your school, your school values, the educational methodology, the curriculum focus, goals and planned outcomes for students.
- Constitute a core committee who will ultimately be a part of the BOD.
- The core committee members should have the expertise in areas related to business, construction, accounting, legal and education.
- Research your states private rule regulations and it is advised to strictly comply to the specifications.
- Determine if you wish your school will be school proprietary (for-profit) or non-profit.
- Preparing a Business Plan.
The plan should operational plans (such as financial and marketing) and educational plan
- Preparing an Academic Plan
A plan that outlines the School profile, Compliance to NCF or other statutory and regulatory requirements, vision, mission, goals, attributes, rationale and quality assurance. Initiatives.
The curriculum should be detailed with insight into teaching, learning and assessment plans, all policies, procedures and guidelines for the implementation of all activities.
- A detailed write up on HR management, school outsourcing contracts and Health & Safety aspects
- Determine your budget and secure your funding.
- Identify an appropriate location and have a functional plan to execute the construction within a stipulated period of time vesting the responsibility on identified key resource.
- Hiring the Principal and Business Manager
The recruitment should be in place at least 18 months before to the commencement of the school and should help implement the final steps to starting your private school.
- While the principal will help handle the educational and staffing aspects of the school plan, the business manager will help complete all administrative issues including purchasing.
- Ensure branding of the school and have a master plan to reach the community using a variety of tools to attract the attention of the targeted audience. Handing over the project to an expert team will fetch the desired results.
- Open an office and commence the process of admissions parent meetings, order furniture and other educational supplies.
- Identify the right partners for handholding academics or invest in resources to align teaching with resources required to deliver learning outcomes.
- Interview and hire faculty / support staff
Attract the best talent and be competitive in your compensation
Conduct an orientation programme for all staff inducted to familiarize the teachers and staff with the school, policies, procedures, expectations, curriculum and your vision for the school.
- Open the school preferably at the same time that other schools in the vicinity have their first day.