How Effective is Play-way Method of Teaching?
Play is defined as any activity done for enjoyment without thinking about the end result. For generations, there is a current of thought that play is just for fun. It is considered a waste of time that could be spent more productively doing something useful, or gainful, for that matter.
Kids have countless opportunities for play. It makes a child happy. Play can happen in different forms. It can be imitating the family members, playing with toys, or playing outdoor games like tag, hide-and-seek or simply running. Children can improve their motor skills, enhance their power of imagination and creativity by indulging in play.
What Makes the Play-way Method Different?
The play-way method is a flexible one based on a child’s interest and aptitude. As it is unplanned, it encourages complete freedom of expression. This method rules out grading or marking kids based on parameters like home assignments. The teachers assess the skills and aptitude of the child here. They communicate these assessments to the parents from time to time. Play-way method of teaching has been introduced in preschools across India.
The play-way method is modifiable to meet children’s requirements through the incorporation of ideas from other curricula or by using inventive instructions. Montessori and other systems of pre-primary teaching can be combined with this method. It is very helpful if trained teachers implement the method. Preschool trainer certification can give requisite knowledge about the method. To include this method in its preschool curriculum, the school needs to study various factors related to the methodology and prepare the set-up accordingly.
At the preschool level, the play-way method or learning through play is a very popular methodology of imparting education to children. Children step out of their home and familiar surroundings to interact and learn among a different set of people, who include kids and teachers.
In India, children pass through the first stage of education (preschool education) by taking part in various activities. this includes games, music, art, communicating with peers and teachers, learning and inculcating skills. These activities enhance the various aspects of a child’s development. These include the development of physical, psychological, intellectual, and development of motor skills.
5 Basic Preschool and Play Principles
Here are the 5 basic principles that guide the play-way method of teaching:
- Doing things practically helps in easy learning.
- An atmosphere of freedom is conducive to learning.
- Learning should be related to life and not to books.
- The method should suit the needs and interest of the child.
- Ample opportunities for children to express themselves.
Advantages of Play-way Method of Teaching
The play-way method helps children follow certain aspects of development. This includes:
The pre-primary stage of education is very crucial in the development of a child. This area is often overlooked and needs a lot of attention and exploration. There is often an overemphasis on the study of cognitive components of development. Meanwhile, the aspects of socio-emotional development are ignored. The early care and education of the child have to be informal, with the implementation of proper practices of care. It should include stories, lullabies and traditional infant games, all taking place in a play-way method that helps in the socio-emotional development of the child.
Understanding Play-way Method
A play-way method is a stimulant which consists of pleasure and satisfaction. Children enjoy playing and naturally engage in activities in playing. The Play-way method goes by the principle that all work and learning should be done in the essence of ‘play’. It is a means of the subjective and emotional development of the child — development in terms of intellect, skills and feelings.
The play-way method uses activity-based learning as a structure. It encourages creative skills and self-expression. Playing is the predominant factor in this method. It reinvigorates children and enhances their learning abilities.
Why Play-way Method?
- Makes learning easy and enjoyable.
- Each child gets equal opportunities for full participation.
- Develops knowledge along with skills.
- Brings satisfaction at the cognitive level.
- Creates an apt learning environment
- Better retention of knowledge.
- Paves ways for self-discipline.
- Provides more opportunities for learning.
- Most suitable method for the pre-primary level children.
- Helps children connect with their teachers easily.
- Facilitates holistic development (cognitive, linguistic, aesthetic, social, emotional, fine and gross motor skills)
- Contents and concepts of each and every subject cannot be introduced through this method.
- Develop customised learning activities.
- Create a joyful learning environment.
- Prepare relevant teaching-learning material after designing the learning activities.
- Plan the activities ranging from simple to complex.
- Become guides, supervisors and leaders for the learners during the learning process.
- Evaluate children through play-way activities.
Encourage your child with Next Education’s Science Explorer, a DIY kit with activity videos, 100+ reusable components and instruction manual. Let’s make learning a joyful experience! Buy Now!