1. "I am a Frenchman" = He said he was a Frenchman. Where said is a reporting verb.
2. "Where is the station?" = He asked where the station was. Where asked is a reporting verb.
3. "Go away!" = He told us to go away. Where told is a reporting verb.
Other types of reporting verbs give information about how the words were spoken, or the emotions transmitted.
1. She cried for help. Reporting verb- cried
2. "Leave me alone", he growled. Reporting verb- growled
3. "It's so nice to see you again", she laughed. Reporting verb- laughed
1. "Get out, now!" = We were ordered to leave. Reporting verb- order
2. "Would you like some tea?" = We were offered some tea. Reporting verb- offered
3. "Please take a seat." = He invited me to sit down. Reporting verb- invited