Synonyms are words that are similar or have a related meaning to another word.
Synonyms are used:
• When you want to avoid repeating the same words over and over.
• The word you have in mind might not be the most appropriate word, which is why finding the right synonym can come in handy.
Choosing a Synonym
There is a certain skill involved in choosing the most appropriate synonym, as not all are created equal. It is important to consider the connotation of the word because some synonyms can inject a different meaning than the one intended.
For example, one synonym of sad is "gloomy" however, this word carries quite a negative connotation. Depending on the circumstance you can use it, but if you just want to say that someone is "down," then another synonym such as "blue" or "unhappy" would be more applicable.
1. Beautiful: Attractive, Pretty, Lovely, Stunning
2. Fair: Just, Objective, Impartial, Unbiased
3. Funny: Humorous, Comical, Hilarious, Hysterical
4. Happy: Content, Joyful, Mirthful, Upbeat
Antonyms are the negative connotation of a particular word. An Antonym is a word or phrase that is opposite in meaning to a particular word or a phrase in the same language. A word having a meaning opposite to that of another word: The word "wet" is an antonym of the word "dry."
absent - present
broad - narrow
cheerful - sad, discouraged, dreary
clear - cloudy, opaque
limited - boundless
possible - impossible
poverty - wealth, riches
wisdom - folly, stupidity
white - black
wide - narrow
win - lose