Articles are not used in the following cases:
1.With uncountable nouns when we make general statements.
- She likes reading book.(not reading a book)
- I like tea.(not a tea)
2.With the names of countries.
- Japan is a developed nation.(not the Japan)
- India is a democratic country.(not the India)
3.With he names of languages.
- Hindi is a national language of India.(not the Hndi)
- English is spoken allover the world.(not the English)
4.With the names of meals.
- Breakfast is the first meal of the day.(not the breakfast)
- We have lunch at mid-day.(not a lunch)
5.With proper nouns (the names of people, places etc.)
- Karthik is a doctor.(not the Karthik)
- Dellhi is the capital of India.(not the Delhi)
6. We do not use articles before years.
- India became a Republic in 1950. (not in the !950)
- The first battle of Panipat was fought in !526.(not in the !526)