How to help your children deal with exam fear
Students, more or less, are gripped by fear just before their exams. A little bit exam fear is rather good, as it makes students focus more on their studies. However, the situation turns serious if the fear engulfs them completely. If your children are consumed by such fear, you should lend a helping hand to them.
The following tips will give you a better idea of how to help your children deal with exam fear.
During preparation for examination
- At this stage, you have to be careful about your children’s routine activities. Are they eating healthy meals? Are they getting a good night’s sleep every day? Are they studying properly? Do remember that nothing will go wrong under a careful eye.
- Peer pressure may leave your kids swamped in fear. Make sure that your children do not reel under such pressure, especially before examinations. Such pressure will ultimately sap your children of their self-esteem and confidence, thereby ruining all their efforts. Advise your children to stay away from those who tend to create anxiety about exams.
- Encouragement and positive thinking are also helpful in keeping exam fear away from children. Encourage your children to think positively. Tell them that they can do well in exam as they are well prepared. Your support will definitely instill confidence into them.
- Don’t hesitate to keep a check on your children’s preparation; however, do not drag unnecessary comparison while talking to them. Likewise, do not pressurize them with your towering expectation.
The day before exam
- Make sure that your children are prepared for their examinations well in advance. It will help them avoid last-minute preparation, which is the main reason behind exam fear.
- Allow your kids to relax for some time in between studies.
- Assist them in preparing things that they would need during exams—like pencils, pens, eraser, and rulers.
- Make sure your children get enough sleep the day before exams.
- Set the alarm so that they can wake up early in the morning and prepare for examination.
On exam day
- Make sure that your children are eating a healthy breakfast. It is better to avoid extra sugar, food containing caffeine and junk food.
- Ask your children to reach the exam center on time and take their seat.
- Last but not the least; it’s better not to discuss much about the examination that is over. Such discussion may distract your children from preparing for the next examination.
Image Credit: freedigitalphotos.net